Members of the SPORT team: A. Shafaei, Y. Wang, and X. Lin received the Best Paper Award at the IEEE Computer Society Annual Symposium on VLSI, Tampa, Florida, USA, July 9-11, 2014.
Prof. Pedram concluded his term as the Editor-in-Chief of the ACM Trans. on Design Automation of Electronic Systems, in May 2014. He had served in that position from Jun. 2008.
Prof. Pedram concluded his term as the Inaugural Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Journal on Emerging and Selected Topics in Circuits and Systems in Dec. 2013. He had served in that position from Jan. 2010.
Hadi Goudarzi received his Ph.D. in Dec. 2013 — Thesis title: “SLA-based, Energy-Efficient Resource Management in Cloud Computing Systems”; first employment at Qualcomm, San Diego, CA.
Prof. Pedram was recognized as one of the four DAC Prolific Authors (with 50+ papers) and the DAC Bronze Cited Author at the 50th year anniversary of the Design Automation Conf., Austin, TX, Jun. 2013
Prof. Pedram received the 2013 DAC Volunteer Service Award sponsored by IEEE CEDA.
M. Kamal, Q. Xie and M. Pedram received the Best Paper Award at the 2012 IEEE Int’l Conference on Computer Design.
Prof. Pedram gave the following invited talks in 2013:
- “Energy-Driven Design and Optimization of Electronic Circuits and Servers,” Presentations at SNU-ESRC and Samsung ATTI Joint Workshop, Soul, South Korea, Sep. 9, 2013 and at Energy Efficient Design Institute, Beijing University, Beijing, China, Sep. 6, 2013.
- “Designing Energy-Efficient Information Processing Systems,” Presentations at EE Dept., Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Dec. 3, 2013; Eminent Scholar Seminar Series speaker, Texas A&M University, Nov. 12, 2013; Sharif University of Technology, Tehran, Iran, Sep. 29, 2013; Samsung Advanced Technology Training Institute, Sep. 11, 2013; and EE Dept., Yale University, Apr. 5, 2013.
- “Reducing Energy Cost and Environmental Impacts of Information Processing and Communications Systems,” ISTeC Distinguished Lecture, Colorado State University, Oct. 21, 2013.
- “Creating a Sustainable Information and Communication Infrastructure,” Keynote Speaker, Design Automation and Test in Europe Conference, Grenoble, France, Mar. 19, 2013.
Prof. Pedram gave the following invited talks in 2012:
- “Design and Optimization of Electrical Energy Storage Systems,” Mitsubishi webinar, April 4, 2012.
- “Design and Optimization of Electrical Energy Storage Systems,” MIT Electrical Engineering Dept., Cambridge, MA, February 145, 2012.
Mohammad Ghasemazar received his Ph.D. in Dec. 2011 — Thesis title: “Variation-aware circuit and chip level power optimization in digital VLSI systems”; first employment at Qualcomm, San Diego, CA.
Hamed Abrishami received his Ph.D. in Dec. 2011 — Thesis title: “Reliability-aware and low-power design techniques,” first employment at Qualcomm, San Diego, CA.
Safar Hatami received his Ph.D. in Dec. 2011 — Thesis title: “Gate delay modeling and static timing analysis in ASICs considering process variations”; first employment at the Office of CTO, Broadcom, Irvine, CA.
Maryam Soltan received her Ph.D. in Dec. 2011 — Thesis title: “Endure – Engineering durable and efficient hierarchical wireless sensor networks”; Part-time instructor.
Pedram’s group was granted the following US patents in 2010:
- Pedram; Massoud (Beverly Hills, CA); Iranli; Ali (Los Angeles, CA), United States Patent Filed, “Dynamic backlight scaling for power minimization in a backlit TFT-LCD,” United States Patent 8,094,118, Issued: Jan 10, 2012, Filed: Mar 2, 2006.
Fallah; Farzan (San Jose, CA); Pakbaznia; Ehsan (Los Angeles, CA); Pedram; Massoud (Beverly Hills, CA); “Sizing and placement of charge recycling (CR) transistors in multithreshold complementary metal-oxide-semiconductor (MTCMOS) circuit,” United States Patent 7,834,684, Issued: Nov 16, 2010, Filed: Oct 31, 2008.